Wednesday, April 27, 2016

I began my trip by flying to Louisville, then driving to Campbellsville, Kentucky.  Campbellsville is a small, very provincial rural Kentucky town, population about 11,000, with a huge propensity for very large (obese) residents.  Part of the problem may be that there are really not many choices for restaurants other than fast food, the usual McDonalds, etc.  My first night there, I asked about places to go, and when I mentioned Asian, I was directed to a buffet chinese place.  Fortunately, it was a couple of miles away, and then I spotted a Japanese place about 50 steps from the motel.  Had a very nice salmon bento box dinner, but no wine since it was Sunday, and none could be served on Sunday!!  Monday was a day for a quick drive to the local state park, then work on my survey.  Dinner was quite an experience.  I had pulled up the top 10 restaurants in the area, and near the top was a chicken place, supposed to be great.  Well, the place was KFC by a different name, the chicken was very tasty, but a bit greasy.  At least the slaw was good.  Next day, after the survey, I asked for suggestions, and there was near unanimity that Brothers was the place to go.  I went.  The menu was primarily barbeque, so that's what I ordered, and it was quite good.  Again, though, the serving sizes were huge, and very limited choices for veggies.  So, is the food driving the obesity, or is the huge appetite driving the choice of restaurants? 

I left Campbellsville, headed for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  I understood it was one of the most heavily visited National Parks, and this visit might be the best (?only) opportunity to see this park.   On the way, I decided that I was going to emphasize waterfalls on my trip, since the area has a bunch, and there aren't so many in Colorado.  I first headed for Yahoo Falls, the highest falls in Kentucky, in the Big South Fork National Recreation Area, which extends down into Tennessee.
The roads for the last 10 miles or so into the falls area were very narrow, winding, mostly paved, traversing through several collections of homes right up against the road, with the usual refrigerator on the front porch, the hound chained in the front yard, and several probably non-functioning vehicles in the drive.  The last couple of miles were gravel road, leading to the trailhead and restroom facilities.  No one else around, I started the hike to the falls.  The hike took about 20 minutes, nice trail, through old forest.  Unfortunately, the rainy season had not begun in earnest, and the falls were more like a drip over a shelf of rock, but I could appreciate what it might look like after heavy rain.  I then pushed on to Gatlinburg, Tennessee, at the entrance to the National Park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment